Back to School: The Top Ten Funders of LGBTQ Education and Safe Schools Work
Author: Lyle Matthew Kan
September signals the end of summer and the beginning of fall. It also means “back to school” for many people. Between 2011 and 2012, foundations invested nearly $14.8 million in LGBTQ education and safe schools work – which amounted to approximately 8 percent of LGBTQ funding in the United States.
For 2011-2012, the top ten supporters of LGBTQ education/safe schools work included:
- Anonymous - $2,256,500
- Pride Foundation - $1,713,032
- Ford Foundation - $1,390,000
- Point Foundation - $1,209,504
- Tides Foundation - $774,398
- Gill Foundation - $624,200
- Open Society Foundations - $565,000
- Wells Fargo Foundation - $561,100
- Arcus Foundation - $425,000
- Greater Seattle Business Association - $332,000
Over 38 percent of the nearly $14.8 million was awarded as general operating support, while 42 percent of the funding was awarded for program or project support and over 18 percent supported scholarships.
Perhaps surprisingly, almost 60 percent of the funding was awarded to support national work. The remaining 40 percent was split evenly between local and statewide work.
Did your foundation make our list? Should it have?
We’re currently in the final stages of collecting data for our 2013 Tracking Report. (Click here to see the 2012 Tracking Report
) To make sure your foundation is included in the 2013 Tracking Report and all subsequent analysis, including top ten lists, please ensure your 2013 LGBTQ grantmaking is submitted to Naa Hammond by the end of the month. You can email Naa at email@example.com
to inquire about whether or not your data has been received or to submit your grantmaking. She can also answer any questions you might have about what information we need.